Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pop Culture

So when did my four year old and two year old become such One Direction fans?  One day about a month ago, we had all the kids in the car and were going to get something to eat on a Friday evening.  The radio was on and I wasn't really paying any attention to it.  Suddenly, I noticed that my girls were singing along with whatever song was on.  Now, let me digress for just a moment......
In our household, we haven't really introduced a lot of "radio" music to our kids.  It's not because we don't want to, it's just because it's not something that I thought was that important.  They love music, but the kind of music they love is found on Nick Jr., Disney Jr., nursery rhymes, etc.  That is what their age group is appropriate for. 
.......back to the present.  I do know that Emma has liked a couple of Taylor Swift songs that she heard-especially "Never Getting Back Together"--she likes the ever, ever, ever part :)  In fact, I heard her singing that in her room the other day.  No one around, no music playing, just her singing this song that is about a girl and boy never getting back together-my sweet, innocent four year old.  Now I know she doesn't understand that song whatsoever, but it just shows me how much my little girl is growing up.  I don't think I am ready for this.
The kids at the baby-sitter's house have an Ipod that they listen to music on.  There are a few 10-11 year olds there that come after school and so there are some age appropriate songs for them on there.  That includes Taylor Swift, One Direction and whatever else there is that kids that age listen to.  I try to plead ignorance in that category right now!  Since they listen to that so much, my girls have learned the words to "Kiss You" and "You Don't Know You're Beautiful" by One Direction.  I found that out as they were singing to "Kiss You" in the car-I had never even heard it before then!  So now when we are in the car, Emma asks me if she can see my phone and if I will put the songs on for her.  After I previewed each of the videos for each song she wants, I agreed to it.  The videos are cute and innocent enough so I thought she would be okay to watch them.  She just likes to sing along, but she has a million questions about why the kids are doing what they are doing.  It's cute.  She is so not into boys yet (thank God), so she just doesn't get this whole "I have a crush on you", "I want to date you" thing.  Of course, she understands that mommy and daddy got married and the reasons for it, but she hasn't yet realized that will happen to her someday (provided she wants to get married, which I think she does!).  Even Maddie sings along to these songs-which I will admit, is very, very, very cute!!
I am just amazed that at this young age, kids are already into this kind of music.  I was hoping to keep them into nursery rhymes forever, but once again, my plans have to be altered...

No comments:

Post a Comment